The backyard is one of the best spots to gather around with your loved ones so it’s never wrong to decorate it beautifully. There are some methods that homeowners can do to beautify their outdoor area and one of them is by using affordable items like fairy lights. If you are planning to use this item but doesn’t have tall trees to hang it on, we have prepared some options for you.
(You may also love this: Backyard Sitting Area Ideas: 10+ Outdoor Living Space Ideas to Steal)
How to Decorate a Backyard with Fairy Lights
Make sure to measure the size of the surface that will be used. In this case, the length of the fairy lights is enough to cover or ‘good’ enough to decorate a specific spot.
This way, you can also take extra caution just in case you need an extended cord when it’s far from the outlet. By knowing the width of the surface and the fairy lights’ length, you can also create your own design so it looks more eye-catching.
Patio Cover or Pergola
If you don’t have enough tall trees, you can use a patio cover or pergola. The steps are quite simple and easy:
- Just like the first step, you have to make sure the layout of the pergola or patio cover and the distance from the outlet.
- If you have the desired design or layout, you can first make a raw draft to make sure everything is in your plan.
- It’s indeed much easier to have supports to hang the string lights but if it’s not available, you can use hooks or nails as additional supports.
(You may also love this: Backyard Pool Ideas: 20+ Inspirations to Improve Your Outdoor Space)
Build Your Own Post
You can build your own post as support and spread it across the backyard. To make this feature, you will need some supplies and materials:
The supplies and tools you will need to make posts are:
- Buckets or planters
- Concrete mix
- Wood posts or pipes
- Nails or hooks
The steps are:
- This step is optional for you who want to make the bucket or planter look more colorful, you can use paint to colorize it and do this step before everything to make your work easier.
- Make a concrete mix by following the manufacturer’s instructions to know the amount that you need.
- Once you’re done with the mixing, place the post in the middle of the buckets or planters and fill it in with the mix.
- Please make sure to use another support to make sure that the processed supports are even until they dry.
- Once they’re dry, attach hooks or nails to hang the string lights.
(You may also love this: Backyard Deck Ideas: 28+ Easy DIY Designs for Affordable Home Improvement)
Use the Fence
If you have a wood or vinyl fence, you can use it to hang fairy lights and it’s a lot more easier because this type of fence has posts and planks. You will just need a few additional items such as hooks or nails.
- Once you know the length of the string lights and the distance between each post, use hooks or nails as supports.
- By using a hammer, fasten each support and you’re ready to hang string lights along your backyard fence.
(You may also love this: DIY Simple Backyard Ideas: 23+ Mesmerizing Landscaping for Modern Home)
Now you can get a stunning backyard with fairy lights even if you don’t have trees in your backyard. Get your tools and start decorating now!