Aged furniture may look classic and vintage for some people but for some others, it may look quite unattractive. Therefore, it needs a touch to make it looks fresher or just simply to keep its normal look. Instead of buying a new one, painting it with the original or new color can be the best solution since furniture is not that cheap.
(You would also love these: Dining Room Bench Ideas: 18+ Inspiring Designs for Cozy Meal Time)
In this article, we have a quick tutorial that you can do by yourself to update the color of your dining table.
HOW TO PAINT DINING TABLE
To get a smooth process, you will need some tools and supplies:
- Gloves, goggles, mask
- Drop cloth
- Soft cloth, paper towel, or hand vacuum cleaner
- Paint rollers
- Polyurethane gloss finish (optional)
- Painter tape (optional)
- Spray paint (optional)
The best painting surface is a smooth one so you want to get it done before painting so the result is flawless. Use sandpaper to smoothen the table’s surface.
- First of all, please make sure the surrounding is well-ventilated since you’ll be working with chemical products.
- Cover the surrounding with a drop cloth to protect from spills or dust.
- By using sandpaper, clean the paint area from any stains, debris, and old coating.
- If there’s a specific surface that you don’t want to paint, use tape to mark that area.
- Wipe the residue with a paper towel, soft cloth, or hand vacuum cleaner
(You would also love these: White Dining Room Ideas: 23+ Simply Astonishing Decor You’ll Adore)
The purpose of priming is to prepare the surface for a smooth painting process.
- Apply a thin layer of primer paint to the sanded area.
- Coat evenly to every part of the area and if there’s a small part that needs more precise work, use spray paint or a small brush.
- Wait until it dries before doing the next step.
(You would also love these: Simple Dining Room Ideas: 25+ Stylish Decors for Minimalist Home)
There are two common types of paints that you can use based on the needs and the table’s materials.
– Latex/regular: Usually, it can be mixed with some colors. However, in some cases, the finished and texture can be tricky to clean and leave wipe marks.
– Oil-based: Some people might prefer this one since it’s more durable and easy to clean. The weaknesses of this paint type are it smells, takes more time to dry, and has limited color variations.
What to do:
- Use a brush to paint the area. You may need two layers to make a flawless finish.
- Use rollers to wipe the brush strokes for the last coat if the first two layers are not smooth enough.
- Let it dry and you’re done with the painting process.
(You would also love these: Bohemian Dining Room Ideas: 24+ Catchy Decors with Exhilarating Vibe)
If you’re satisfied with the result, you can finish the job by step 3. If you like to add extra protection, you can do this last step by using polyurethane.
- Once the paint is dry, apply polyurethane all over the painted area.
- For a perfect finish, wait for about 48 to 72 hours until the coat dries up.
- After a couple of hours and if you like the result, clean the surface, and you’re ready to use the table again.
(You would also love these: Transitional Dining Room Ideas: 20+ Beautiful Inspirations to Steal)
Instead of buying a new dining table, it’s a lot cheaper to retouch it by yourself. Happy retouching!