The fence is one of the home decorating features that every homeowner wants to have. Sometimes, choosing a perfect fence can be very confusing because there are tons of styles, shapes, designs, and materials out there that you can choose from. Of course, each style and material has its own unique point that can affect the overall look of the house itself.
(You might also love this: Backyard Patio Ideas: 20+ Easy and Cheap Designs for Home DIYers)
We’ve prepared some tips on how to choose a perfect backyard fence just for you down below, so just keep reading.
How to Choose a Backyard Fence
When it comes to installing a fence, some things that you have to consider are:
- What material will I choose for the fence?
- How much does it cost to buy?
- How much does it cost to install?
- Do I need to hire a professional?
- How much does it cost to maintain?
The purpose of installing a fence is because you want to based on your needs, not just because you want to. Prioritize your needs based on these points:
- Security: It’s something to protect your children and pets and prevent them from going outside so you’ll need sturdy materials with proper height and tight space between each board.
- Privacy: This one is usually if you have an outdoor hot tub or swimming pool and make you free from unwanted sight. It’s best to choose a complete solid fence that has no space between boards.
- Aesthetic: You just simply want a fence that works as a protection feature but also looks attractive. This fence style has tons of options that you can choose from with various designs and prices.
(You might also love this: Backyard Landscaping Ideas: 20+ Simple Designs on a Budget)
There are various common materials that are often used for a fence:
- Wood is the most versatile material to use in your backyard. Not only because it’s quite affordable also it lets you decorate the way you want from height, style, and size. Wood is also a material that you can install by yourself so you don’t have to spend an extra budget on hiring a professional.
- Metal is another popular material. This type of fence is suitable for homeowners who have pets and want to keep them inside. A chain-link fence is also affordable and easy to install. The other types of metal fencings are wrought and cast iron that might need help from professionals.
- PVC or Vinyl becomes popular among many homeowners that come in various styles and colors. This fence is made of plastic so if you need something strong and sturdy, you might need something else.
(You might also love this: Small Patio Ideas: 21+ Simple Designs on a Budget)
Based on the point above, you might want to keep in mind how to maintain each material:
- Wood can be materials that are quite affordable and easy to install but you have to make sure that it needs regular maintenance for about 2-3 years to apply new stain or repaint. If you’re planning to use wood for your backyard fencing, you need to plan the budget for this process as well.
- Metal fencing is basically a maintenance-free, sturdy, and long-lasting material. You don’t have to restain or repaint it. Since it’s made of metal, the only problem that it might face is rust.
- Vinyl is just like metal, it doesn’t really need regular maintenance, will not rust or rot. However, since it’s a quite hollow material, you might want to consider the cost of reparation if it breaks or cracks by active children, pets, or bad weather.
(You might also love this: Backyard Trees Ideas: 20+ Beautiful DIY Decors for a Cozy Home)
We would love to recommend the one that enhances the design of your home. For example, for a classic traditional design, it would look good with a brick or wrought iron fence. Meanwhile, a contemporary home could look more stunning with vinyl or wood fencing.
(You might also love this: Tropical Backyard Ideas: 20+ Beautifully Refreshing Decors to Copy)
We hope that these tips help you and happy fencing!