A mattress is one of the items that can ensure your comfort while using the bed so it’s important to keep it clean. However, no matter how you cover it with linen, stains from skin oil, drool, sweat, and even urine can happen and make your mattress dirty and smelly.
That’s why it’s better to clean it up immediately to prevent the stain stays longer. In this article, we’ll share some tips on how to clean stains from mattresses by using materials and tools from your home. This way, you can save more on the budget for something else instead of calling a pro.
(You might also love this: White Bedroom Ideas: 20+ Gorgeous Decors You Will Admire)
Just keep reading and save this page for your reference.
How to Clean Mattress from Stains
Before starting the cleaning process, prepare some tools and materials:
- Small bowl
- Small strainer
- Clean cloths
- Spray bottle
- Blow dryer or fan
- Baking soda
- Lavender essential oil
- Liquid dish soap, only a few drops
- White vinegar
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
(You might also love this: Neutral Bedroom Ideas: 20+ Chic Decor with a Pop of Color)
Regular and Easy Stains
Take Off the Linens
Remove all linens off the bedding and wash them while you clean the mattress.
Vacuum the mattress thoroughly before cleaning it with any solutions.
- Make sure to vacuum everything from the top, sides, and underneath the mattress.
- Ask for help to lift the mattress if it’s too heavy.
Make the Baking Soda Mixture
- Prepare a bowl to mix a cup of baking soda and a few drops of essential oil
- Put the mixture in the strainer.
- Sprinkle it over the mattress and leave for some minutes then vacuum it evenly.
Treat the Stains
- Mix the paste of baking soda, salt, and water to spot-clean the stains that you see on the mattress.
- Use a clean damp cloth to wipe the stain and let it sit for around 30 minutes.
Remake the bedding
Once you are sure that the mattress is clean enough, you can remake the bed with those clean lines.
(You might also love this: Gray Bedroom Ideas: 24+ Chic Decor with Pop of Color You’ll Love)
Cleaning Sweat and Urine Stains
While the tutorial above is suitable for easy stains, sweat and urine stains will need a different treatment since they’re not only dirty but also smells bad.
Mix Some Materials
- Prepare a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide, three tbsp of baking soda, and a few drops of dishwashing soap.
- Mix all of them in a small bowl until it dissolves.
Spray the Solution
- Once everything is mixed, move the solution to a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the stained area.
- Let it sits for a few moments.
Let It Dry
After everything is covered by the solution, you can wait until it’s dry. To speed it up, you may want to use a blow dryer or fan in a cool setting.
(You might also love this: Farmhouse Bedroom Ideas: 20+ Easy Decors and Designs to Try)
So, that’s the tutorial on how to clean stains from mattresses by using affordable materials and tools that you have at your home. Hope this helps!