The backyard is like the oasis in the house that you can use to make your outdoor living space feels cozier and looks more fun. There are several ways that homeowners use to make their backyard feels as homey and comfortable as indoor rooms and one of them is by making a patio.
You may have known that a patio is a multifunctional outdoor feature that is very popular among many homeowners. You can use it simply for a sitting area, dining area, or other spots for gathering with family members and friends. When it comes to the outdoor area, you might want to give extra privacy to avoid unwanted sight from the outside.
(We would also recommend this: 5 Tips On How To Choose a Good Backyard Fence)
To decide what kind of privacy features fit your needs, you just have to make sure how private your patio looks. If you want to limit the sight completely, a privacy fence is the best choice. Meanwhile, if you want a subtle feature, a privacy screen is a good option. For you who like something that looks more casual and decorative, a patio decorated with drop cloths is the right one.
How to Decorate a Backyard Patio with Affordable Supplies
Drop cloths are materials that we often use to layer on something to prevent spills and dirt like when we paint or stain furniture.
What You Need
- Drop cloths
- Tape measure
- Heavy washers (or anything to weigh the cloths)
- Spray paint (optional)
Once all materials are ready, it’s time to execute them so get ready with some tools!
(We would also recommend this: Backyard Design Ideas: 10+ Beautiful Inspirations for Your Outdoor)
1. Measure Your Patio
The first thing to do is measuring the size of your patio to get the right roll of drop cloths to use.
- Take measure of the patio length from one post to another
- Once you get the size, you can then decide the size of the drop cloths
2. Cut the Cloths
Once you purchase the drop cloths, it’s time to cut them to the right size.
- Cut the drop cloths into the size that suits your patio (based on the measured size).
- You might also need to make some hems, especially the ones to hold the heavy washers and to hang the drop cloths.
(We would also recommend this: Backyard Fence Ideas: 10+ Chic Features Your House Needs to Have)
3. Colorize Your Privacy Feature
This step is optional if you want to make the cover looks more decorative and colorful.
- By using spray paint, give color to each side of the curtain and let it dry.
- Once it dries, apply the second coat to make sure that the color is more vibrant and visible.
4. Hang the Curtain
If you’re planning to do the third step, please wait until the paint is dry. Once it’s dry, you can just simply hang the curtain to the patio.
- If your patio doesn’t have a post to hang the curtain, you will have to make a rod as a support or base.
- If your patio has a pergola, you can just simply hang the curtain by using hooks, nails, or make an additional rod.
(We would also recommend this: Backyard Sitting Area Ideas: 10+ Outdoor Living Space Ideas to Steal)
So, those are some simple and easy tips on how to decorate your backyard patio with affordable materials like drop cloths. Now let’s get ready to decorate your patio with this cheap stuff!